First FIFA World Cup-An Interesting Fact

FIFA-World-Cup-2010 A few days back I told you an interesting fact about the T20 World Cup theme song. Now with football fever high, I thought of sharing an interesting fact about the FIFA world Cup.

Most of you who follow World Cup must be aware that the first World Cup was held in 1930 in Uruguay and was won by the host team. But do you know Uruguay was not present in the second world cup to defend their title!! This made them the only team in the history of the world cup not to defend their title.

Read this interesting post to know the reason behind this.

After seeing the success of football in Olympics, FIFA decided to host their own world championship for football. As Uruguay had won the Olympic gold medal for football in 1924 and 1928, and also since it was celebrating the 100th anniversary of independence in 1930, it was decided to host the first World Cup in Uruguay in 1930.

Since reaching Uruguay, which is in South America, involved a long and costly trip across the Atlantic Ocean for the European nations, most of them backed out. In the end only 13 nations took part, with just four from Europe.

When the second world cup was hosted in Italy (which is in Europe) in 1934, Uruguay decided not to participate. The official reason given by them was the lack of finance, but it is believed that this was an attempt to pay the Europeans back.

I don’t know if that was a good strategy, since they gave away their title without defending it. But they registered their name in the history for being the only team not to defend their title. What do you think about it? Share your views with us. Remember comments are Do-Follow.

Follow KnowledgeHub on twitter @knwhub.
Join Knowledge Hub on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/knowledgehub

Interested in FREE niche-specific articles for your blog? Looking for quality and unique articles for group discussions/assignments ? Visit our Services page for details.

If you are new here, please visit sitemap to see a list of articles published so far.

If you found this article useful subscribe below for free to receive updates in future. You can also join Knowledge Hub’s facebook page.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

23 Responses to “First FIFA World Cup-An Interesting Fact”

1. Vinayak
    June 19, 2010 at 12:27 am #

didn't knew that Uruguay won the first cup…and that t20 world cup post was a month ago…in ur post u have written just a few days :P
    thanks for sharing such good info

2. Aditya Kane
    June 19, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Another unknown fact was India was invited to take part in World Cup in the 50s but we did not as we did not have funds.
    Sad considering now we dont look like ever able to qualify for it.

3. Latest Sports News
    June 19, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Cool, rally an informative article, thanks a lot for sharing.

4. Anshul
    June 20, 2010 at 7:36 am #

@ Vinayak
    :) :) Okk I take my words back

5. Anshul
    June 20, 2010 at 7:41 am #

@ Aditya
    Thanks for sharing that Aditya. We are mad about cricket but don't have time to appreciate other sports. That is why we fare so badly in Olympics too. Infact I feel that Football and Hockey requires more team effort than cricket, and so stress should be laid on these sports in schools.

6. Anshul
    June 20, 2010 at 7:41 am #

@ Latest Sports News
    Thanks for dropping :)

7. Student Loan Advice
    June 22, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

cool information about world cup news. I want uruguay to be winner in the world cup 2010 in south africa

8. diamond heart shaped pendants
    June 23, 2010 at 3:07 am #

Great information that i did not know. That kinda sucks for Uruguay to be kinda remembered for not defending a title.

9. digital business cards
    June 23, 2010 at 6:20 am #

I love the new theme song for this year's world cup, the Wavin' Flag by K'naan. Did you hear it? I'm actually using that song as a ringtone on my iPhone. :D

10. diamond heart shaped pendants
    June 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm #

I just heard the theme song. It sounds great!!!

11. jimmy41687
    June 24, 2010 at 7:10 pm #

Well i think they did the right thing because if their wasnt that team in the tournament which is the champion of the last worldcup it will decrease the interest of the people/

12. Website Hosting
    June 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm #

hey one more fact about world cup is The first World Cup was held in Uruguay in 1930. Many believed American Bart McGee scored the first goal in the World Cup, against Belgium in the 40th minute but first goal was scored by Frenchman Lucien Laurent in the 19th minute against Mexico on July 13, 1930. and u know that The red and yellow card system was not introduced until the 1970 World Cup..

13. videos cristianos
    June 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

Thanks for the information is very helpful,didn't knew many things.

14. Web Development Kuwait
    June 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

I am a huge fan of FIFA and I didn't knew about this fact until now. I'm now curious about the true reason behind Uruguay not defending the title.

15. Richmond, VA Wedding Photographer
    July 1, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

Very interesting for sure. Not sure how smart it is not to defend your title on a grudge though!

16. Top MBA College in Jaipur
    July 3, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

Cannot say much on this issue as Uruguay never backed up the statement that they want to show what they are to European nations..

This might be due to their financial problems but this even don't match. As you won't allow someone to take away your title without any efforts!

There might be much more rumors still Uruguay have made themselves registered as one of the nations who never defended their title..

17. seo münchen
    July 4, 2010 at 7:41 am #

I was wondering what's on their mind not defending their title. Not a logical reasoning. Good to have read about this fact coz I am a FIFA fan!

18. Edmonton Real Estate
    July 15, 2010 at 11:38 am #

I am a Football Fan. I did not know this. Anyway Thanks for sharing some interesting facts about FIFA World Cup. And despite all the controversies for the FIFA World Cup 2010, I think this event is successful in General. Thanks for sharing this.

19. Accounting Course
    July 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm #

I am not actually a big fan of football until recently when I watched the latest world cup. I have noticed how people and particularly the football fanatics reacted and how they've shown enthusiasm and passion as they were watching. I guess the people's reaction was quite influential that I also got interested in it. I think football is allegedly the best sport I've known. Thanks for the fascinating fact you've shared.

20. Steve
    July 22, 2010 at 3:02 am #

I would have liked to see Uruguay go further than they did this year(despite Suarez's transgression). For such a small nation, with few star players they did really well.

21. coach outlet online
    July 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm #

I don't know anything about football,But I like the World Cup and the World Cup I like it very much

22. Printed Paper Bag
    August 2, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

Spain won the World Cup. This will set to be a new interesting fact for 2010. Anyway, I really don't know such this kind of history from the first FIFA World Cup. It is such a great history. I really love football from now on. Thanks.

23. Business Pakistan
    June 14, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Hi,
    I am also a huge fan of FIFA and I didn't knew about this fact until now.Theme songs sounds really great.
    Regards,