Header Menu

8 Interesting Facts about Currencies

currencies-across-world Apart from blogging I have one more hobby, currency collection. It is quite a fascinating hobby and one can acquire a lot of knowledge through it. Here I have compiled 8 interesting facts that I came across over a period of time.

1) When Pakistan was in its infancy after India-Pak separation in 1947, they used Indian currency with "Pakistan" stamped on it for the first few months till there was enough circulation of Pakistani notes. Pakistani 1 Rupee 1947-482) Before switching to Australian Dollar in 1966, Australia used Australian Pound as its official currency. Initially Australian Dollar was given the name “Royal”, but as the name could not gain popularity among the locals, it was changed to Dollar.

3) The widely used $ symbol, which is used to represent US Dollar, doesn’t appear on US currency at all.US-dollar4) Before 1974, Bhutan didn’t have any currency. Instead they followed Barter system, i.e., they traded goods and services in exchange of other goods and services. In 1974 Bhutanese Ngultrum was introduced as a currency.

5) Bermuda’s $2 bill has been named the bank note of the year 2010 by International Bank Note Society for its attractiveness and high security features. You can read about it in detail at IBNS website.Bermuda-2-dollar-obverse6) Queen Elizabeth’s portrait has appeared on 33 different countries. Her image first appeared on the Canadian currency in 1935, when she was just 9 years old. The reason for her portrait being used by various countries is that the British monarch is considered as the head of the state by many countries that are a part of the British Commonwealth. This is why Australia and New Zealand have Union Jack on their Flag.

7) Australia introduced polymer notes in 1988 and in 1996 it became the first country in the world to have a complete series of polymer notes.australia-polymer-note8) In India, Rupee one notes have signature of the Secretary, Ministry of Finance, Government of India, while the notes of Rs.2 and above denominations contain signature of the Governor, Reserve Bank of India.

BONUS FACT: There are only 5 currencies in the world that have unique symbol to represent them. These are US Dollar, Yen, Pound, Euro and Indian Rupee (latest addition). Of these only the pound sterling has its symbol printed on the notes.

Do you have some interesting facts related to currencies? Share it here.

Also read other general interesting facts and interesting articles in banking and finance category.

Follow KnowledgeHub on twitter @knwhub.
Join Knowledge Hub on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/knowledgehub

Interested in FREE niche-specific articles for your blog? Looking for quality and unique articles for group discussions/assignments ? Visit our Services page for details.

If you are new here, please visit sitemap to see a list of articles published so far.

If you found this article useful subscribe below for free to receive updates in future. You can also join Knowledge Hub’s facebook page.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

43 Responses to 8 Interesting Facts about Currencies

1. Interesting facts July 6, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing produces 38 million notes a day with a face value of approximately $541 million.

2. womens wedding bands July 6, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

You know that I never notice that the $ symbol is completely gone from the dollar bills!! That's what represented the US dollar. Wow

3. Zco Corporation July 7, 2010 at 11:14 am #

I quoted your article in my recent blog, “For love of money” on Mr Anshual. Thanks for some great tips and info (as always). I love your blog!

4. Anshul July 7, 2010 at 11:39 am #

Thanks for that 🙂

5. Anshul July 7, 2010 at 11:40 am #

Thanks for sharing that :), and welcome to the blog 🙂

6. Anshul July 7, 2010 at 11:41 am #

Glad that I was able to help you find something interesting 🙂

7. Data Centers July 7, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

I have read some such types of interesting facts about the currency notes. Some notes were found with both sides printed as same.

8. Jovit @ MN Directory July 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

Its nice to know these information. They might seem like a trivia, it is still good to know these things. They help enrich our knowledge. Thanks for sharing, btw.

9. Website Promotion July 10, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

All of my life I haven't noticed that the dollar does not actually have a dollar sign. I always assumed that it did.

10. Windows LSP July 11, 2010 at 7:10 am #

wow. you have a very informative post regarding currencies. that must be an interesting hobby.

11. jimmysmith July 23, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

This is really an interesting blog. I must appereciate the work.As you all know importance and popularity of sports games like football,baseball and many more. You must visit us for live football score

12. Website Hosting July 27, 2010 at 10:51 am #

Wow really its so interesting facts i never know it before thank you for sharing this with us..Fact #5 surprised me the most at first, but then I realized how American that made me. ..

13. Attorneys in Tampa July 28, 2010 at 5:04 am #

It's really amazing to collect currency, even our currencies can tell history of a country. It's like picture of our history. Your article is really interesting, thanks for sharing this facts.

14. trucking insurance July 29, 2010 at 12:54 am #

Wow what an amazing post! Thanks for sharing this interesting facts about currencies. It gives readers more knowledge about this topic.

15. rosetta stone July 29, 2010 at 1:11 am #

"Bermuda’s $2 bill" I like this fact the most, it's nice!

16. pradaoutlet August 2, 2010 at 9:06 am #

that is really interesting

17. milton August 2, 2010 at 7:59 am #

ya it’s very nice facts….i don’t know about these facts before i read this…now i uderstand this….

18. Anshul August 2, 2010 at 8:59 am #

Ya the central banks some times commit such mistakes but generally such notes do not get into circulation. However once in a while it does get, and the lucky ones gets a chance to add it to their collection

19. Anshul August 2, 2010 at 9:00 am #

Glad that you enjoyed reading this 🙂

20. Anshul August 2, 2010 at 9:00 am #

In fact among currencies with distinctive identities like Dollar, Yen, Pound, Euro etc. only the pound sterling has its symbol printed on the notes.

21. Anshul August 2, 2010 at 9:01 am #

yes it is :).. but it is an expensive hobby too

22. Anshul August 2, 2010 at 9:02 am #

Yes I agree with you. Currency can tell a lot about the culture and history of a country.

23. Anshul August 2, 2010 at 9:02 am #

Thanks for dropping by 🙂

24. Anshul August 2, 2010 at 9:03 am #

Ya the note looks really beautiful. Wish I could lay my hand on it 🙂

25. Anshul August 2, 2010 at 9:03 am #

Thanks :).. Do visit again

26. Pay Day Loans August 3, 2010 at 11:52 am #

These are really some very interesting facts. Well, i am a lover of currencies and me getting currencies in any form is always Welcome…LOL….

27. Anshul August 8, 2010 at 5:18 am #

That's interesting :). Maybe you can share some of the information that you obtained from this hobby

28. Escort Calgary August 11, 2010 at 8:11 am #

I never knew these interesting facts about the different currencies and I'm so glad you share it pal. It's really cool. Actually, I have lots of old coins and paper money at home and no one really care about them. At least now I'm aware of these facts and maybe I would start my own collections of old currencies. Anyway, thanks a lot of sharing this out.

29. Escort Calgary August 11, 2010 at 11:16 am #

I've been collecting old coins and paper money from different countries but I've never known these facts until I've read your post. It's really nice to know the history and evolution of our currencies so that we could appreciate more the value of our present currency aside from it's monetary value. Cool post, anyway. Thanks for sharing.

30. laughlinhotels August 12, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Thanks …………… for sharing this post with us and links. This is good post.

31. forex trading August 23, 2010 at 10:41 am #

Hey this is very informative post. I came to know about this now. thanks for sharing.:D

32. Allison Beckett August 26, 2010 at 10:48 pm #

Love the post! Especially #4…I wonder if there are still countries that use that system? or perhaps just people groups in the jungle and stuff…

33. web3.0 August 30, 2010 at 10:15 am #

Something I found out the other day was a 1937 US Quarter if it has a "S" imprinted on the bottom portion located around the US stamp is worth around $1,000 at auction. Most coin collectors check their pocket change because of this there are a lot in circulation still today.

34. Orlando DUI September 25, 2010 at 8:24 am #

Currency collection is really cool and fun, you can able to know about interesting historical facts of a country through their currencies. Thanks for sharing your collections and those highlight historical facts.

35. rakhi November 10, 2010 at 6:07 am #

wow…it is very interesting that these things didnt come across my eyes before.

36. Attorneys in Tampa November 10, 2010 at 8:48 am #

Like you, currency collection has also attracted me, because from a piece of coin it can really tell us a significant part of a country's history. It can also show their rich culture. Thanks for sharing some of your collections and also giving us their historical notes.

37. Bulk Solids December 4, 2010 at 8:36 am #

I used to collect currencies before when my dad was still working abroad. And I guess I have already a dozen of currencies from different countries like the middle east. However, when my dad got sick and never to work again, my collection hadn't been added. But anyway I never really knew these facts behind the currency of different countries. It's really cool and interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing this out. Keep going!

38. viswanath August 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

Amazing fact! Highly appreciated. A small correction "compiled 10 interesting facts that I came across over a period of time." rather it is "8"

39. Anshul August 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks for pointing that out Viswanath, I have corrected it now 🙂

40. vikas February 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

the rupee also has its symbol printed on the notes.

• Anshul February 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Yes Vikas you are right. But that has happened now. At the time of writing this article, rupee didn’t even had a symbol.
      Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. I’ll update the article.

41. sushmita singh August 15, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

awesome information i was searching something like this and i got lv this blog .please keep on blogging interesting informAtions

42. hitesh patel April 3, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

an interesting bunch of facts…..liked very much…i also want to add some fact…
    1)In indian rupee notes value of the notes are written in 17 different languages.
    2) current indian notes series are called mahatma gandhi series.