[Myth] Cannot Create A Folder Named CON - Knowledge Hub

[Myth] Cannot Create A Folder Named CON

folder con Today a friend of mine came to me with a challenge- Create a folder named CON on your system. When I failed to do that he enlightened me with another fact – The entire Microsoft team, not even Bill Gates can create the folder named CON. Seeing my skeptical look, he showed me the following mail:

nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the computer which can be named as “CON”.
This is something pretty cool…and unbelievable… At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn’t answer why this happened!
TRY IT NOW !!”

As you know how skeptical I am of such type of mails, because of the hoax mails that circulate on net, I decided to do a research on this. And voila!! I found this to be another hoax mail, a myth.

There is a grain of truth behind the mail. You cannot create a folder named CON (well even that is half truth- there is a trick that’ll help you create that folder), but that is not an unsolved mystery. And believe me, the Microsoft team and Bill Gates are not ignorant about this.

I have discussed about this hoax mail in detail at Devils Workshop, where I have written about the reason behind this, and also the trick that will let you create the folder named CON. Read about it at [Myth Buster] Why You Cannot Create A Folder Named CON.

Follow KnowledgeHub on twitter @knwhub.
Join Knowledge Hub on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/knowledgehub

Interested in FREE niche-specific articles for your blog? Looking for quality and unique articles for group discussions/assignments ? Visit our Services page for details.

If you are new here, please visit sitemap to see a list of articles published so far.

If you found this article useful subscribe below for free to receive updates in future. You can also join Knowledge Hub’s facebook page.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

33 Responses to “[Myth] Cannot Create A Folder Named CON”

1. instalatii gaze
    July 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

are few things like this very interesting on windows. I know also are few things with word .

2. Nicola
    July 9, 2010 at 8:46 pm #

Haha, I never knew this before…however it seem that certain words like con,com1,com2 we cannot use as folder name because those words are standard used by OS.

3. Merry Christmas
    July 10, 2010 at 12:01 am #

oh yes i tried this but failed i want to know it and now i am going to the above link as you mentioned because i am very eager to know that.

4. Anshul
    July 16, 2010 at 6:10 am #

Hope you'll share some with us here :)

5. Anshul
    July 16, 2010 at 6:11 am #

Yeah that's right Nicola.. Words like COM1, LPT1, CON are all reserved keywords

6. Anshul
    July 16, 2010 at 6:11 am #

Hope you found the link useful :)

7. Shashank
    July 20, 2010 at 12:49 am #

nyce post..
    keep Sharing:)

8. gowns
    July 21, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

Deep very deeep. I was just about to make a folder and I wanted to call it CON. glad I didn't waste the time. LOL

9. Website Hosting
    July 24, 2010 at 7:58 am #

great post.i too got da mail and forwarded it all my friends with out knowing da actual reason..thanks for finding it and sharing…really its so interesting information

10. jugrajsingh
    July 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm #

what is actual reason behind this

11. Antique Dolls
    July 27, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

Thanks for this post. Me and my colleagues also received that e-mail and now I found a way to impress them. ;)

12. Daniel Golshani
    July 27, 2010 at 8:50 pm #

That is really weird that you cannot create a folder called CON. Now I am intrigued as to why this occurs,

13. futon cover
    July 28, 2010 at 6:15 am #

There are also other filenames which cannot be used, like NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, … COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, … LPT9. These files are reserved to be used as devices. CON is the console device. NUL is the null device (accepts anything like a black hole, but doesn't save anything). COM1 through 9 stand for the communication ports (the serial ports). LPT1 through 9 stand for printer ports (or parallel ports). Like copy con file.txt, you can also do copy file.txt con .

14. juicy couture
    July 29, 2010 at 2:10 am #

You should share us with the ture reason of that.

15. Business Phones
    July 30, 2010 at 10:08 am #

There's a good answer here that gives the full list and explains why:

Linux I believe gets around these sorts of issues by using a /dev/ directory for "special" filenames that refer to hardware objects.

16. Anshul
    July 30, 2010 at 10:22 am #

We generally don't think twice before forwarding a message. That is why there are so many hoax mails moving around on the net. Have a look at these articles which finds truth about many other hoax mails -> http://www.knowledgehub.co.in/search/label/Hoax%2

17. Web Design
    July 30, 2010 at 9:47 am #

LOL. I just tried it. It's so true. Wow. I never would have known about this if you didn't posted about it. This is very cool, knowing that even the Microsoft team don't have an explanation for this. I need to email this article to my friends. Thanks dude.

18. Anshul
    July 30, 2010 at 10:23 am #

that is because these are reserved keywords in Window. Read the article that I mentioned in the post to get detailed information.

19. Anshul
    July 30, 2010 at 10:23 am #

Gald to be of help :)

20. Anshul
    July 30, 2010 at 10:23 am #

Hope you found the answer by reading the article I mentioned :)

21. Anshul
    July 30, 2010 at 10:24 am #

That exactly is the reason !! Thanks for sharing your knowledge here. Hope to see you here more often.

22. Anshul
    July 30, 2010 at 10:26 am #

The reason is that these are reserved keywords in Windows. Also read the comment posted by Futon Cover just above your comment. I gave link to that article instead of writing it here because I didn't want to duplicate my effort, as that article was written by me.

23. Anshul
    July 30, 2010 at 10:27 am #

Looks like you didn't read the article properly :P I mentioned that this is a hoax – people at Microsoft know very well the reason behind this, and so do many others :)

24. Anshul
    July 30, 2010 at 10:28 am #

I agree with you. Linux has many advantages over Windows.

25. milton
    August 2, 2010 at 7:48 am #

ya its true…..i can’t create con folder any where in the system…
    thanks for this useful information…

26. Mens Suits
    August 2, 2010 at 8:48 am #

Very true. I just tried it out, I cant create a folder named CON.. I wonder why, and for what purpose.. Any way, thanks for this post.

27. Anshul
    August 2, 2010 at 8:58 am #

Glad that you liked this :)

28. Anshul
    August 8, 2010 at 5:15 am #

That is because it is a reserved keyword in Windows

29. nightshirts
    August 9, 2010 at 8:40 am #

Acutally, the reason why you couldn't create a file named "CON" is that it is a reserved keyword. In fact, there are a lot of words that you couldn't use to name a folder like – PRN, AUX, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, etc. it's because they are reserved words. It's a mystery if you don't know any of these things because it may leave you wondering why.

30. Mohammed Ibrahim
    August 9, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

yeah its right, CON is one among the reserved file names in Windows. The other names include PRN
    AUX
    LPT4
    LPT5
    LPT6
    LPT7
    LPT8
    LPT9…

To know more about such reservation, plz read my post: http://blog4info.blogspot.com/2008/12/reserved-na

31. Varanasi Hotels
    August 10, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

This is great post. I did not know about this trick. It is very surprise thing, the con folder could not create. I don't have any idea before about reserved keyword. Thanks for sharing this post with us and links.

32. rosetta stone
    August 13, 2010 at 1:09 am #

this is interesting. I tryied in my computer, and I can't creat a folder name CON. nowhere. Is there anyone know the reasons?

33. Thermal Mug
    November 11, 2010 at 4:55 am #

Didn't know that! Of course I tried it to see if it would work (lol – imagine that everyone who read this did!). Kinda figured it out when it gave the "device" error instead of an "invalid" type error – checked the link you mentioned with the details. Didn't try the work around, as I really didn't need a "con" folder and the "may make your computer unstable" also didn't do much to tempt me!