Live Life The 3G Way

3g 3G is the buzz word these days. With telecom ministry opening doors for the mobile service providers to enter the 3G world, the eagerly awaited technology is finally here. After all 3G is not only going to revolutionize the life of an internet user but will also take India a step further to change its status from ‘developing’ country to ‘developed’ country. (The new Indian rupee symbol is another step towards this aim.)

BSNL was the first company to roll-out 3-G service in India. Now Tata Indicom is going to be the second telecom company (first private company to do so) to provide 3-G services, thus ending BSNL’s monopoly in this segment. This move from Tata Indicom is in favor of the consumers, because now more and more number of people will get to see the advantages of moving to 3-G. But before seeing what changes 3-G is going to make in our life, let us first understand what 3-G is.

UPDATE: Tata Docomo has now launched 3G services in all the circles they obtained license for. Check out their tariff plans.

What Is Meant By 3-G?

3G is the third generation of wireless technologies. It enhances the previous wireless technologies such as advanced multimedia access, high speed mobile broadband and internet access with the ability to view video footage on your mobile handset.

The 2.5G technology, which is currently being used in India, provides a data transfer rate of 64-144 kbps. Compare this to the speed provided by 3G, which varies from 144 kbps to 2Mbps, depending on whether the device is fast moving or stationary (like fixed Wireless LAN).

Thus 3G offers following advantages over previous networks:

• Several times higher data speed;
  • Enhanced audio and video streaming;
  • Video-conferencing support;
  • Web and WAP browsing at higher speeds;
  • IPTV (TV through the Internet) support.

You can also visit 3glife.com – a website that aims to increase awareness about 3G. It features a global 3G Live stream that captures anything anyone is saying around 3G in the online space.

The first countries to implement 3G service were Japan and South Korea.

How Is 3-G going to change our lives?

Having understood in brief what 3-G technology means, let us now see a few ways in which 3G is going to change our lives.

1) Never Before Internet Speed
We all know how the current internet speed over GPRS sucks. You can go and prepare a cup of coffee, drink it, and if you are lucky enough, you’ll be able to download a 4 Mb song using your 2G network connection by the time you finish your coffee. But not anymore. 3G will act as nitro-booster for your net connection. See the video (credit: Amit Bhawani) which beautifully shows the difference between 2G and 3G.

2) Front Facing Camera in Cellphone Finally Finds A Use
video call Till now the front facing cameras that smartphones comes equipped with could only be used to set your hair!! But thanks to 3G, you can now use it for video calling. You can use it for real time video conference with your clients, family and friends while on the move. Isn’t that amazing?

3) Watching TV and Movies on Demand
Almost everyone reading this must have watched Sachin making 200 in ODI. Well I didn’t Sad. Something I’ll always regret. Reason being I was travelling due to some official work and though I tried using my GPRS connection to watch the match, the video kept on buffering and buffering.

Now with 3G technology here, I’ll not miss such moments. I can watch TV serials, movies and cricket match whenever I want, without worrying about the slow connection.

4) Better Time Management
Let’s face it. A lot of our time is wasted in traffic jams and red signals. If we could utilize this time, just imagine how our productivity is going to increase. If you have a smartphone with a 3G connection, you can download e-mails with heavy attachments, browse through social networking sites and do lot of other stuff, while waiting in the traffic jam (of course you should not be driving while using your phone).

Being a blogger, I find it even more convenient because now I’ll be able to moderate comments and write blog posts- something which I was not able to do properly due to slower GPRS service.

5) Multi Tasking
Try using Twitter, Facebook, IM, E-mail client all at once on your mobile phone, or on your computer with a slower connection. Chances are you will either experience a connection loss or the time taken to load the sites will be so high that you might end up pulling your hair. But if you have a 3G enabled mobile connection or a 3G data card to use with your computer, you will be able to use all these applications without the fear of losing connection.

6) Smart Phones Will Finally Be Smart
mobile-apps Market is full of smart phones these days, such as iPhone, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy etc. But are these phones really smart? Though these phones are capable of multi tasking, video conferencing, and are equipped with thousands of applications, having a slow GPRS connection actually makes them dumb. But with 3G connection you can now use the full power of your smart phone. Wonderful, isn’t it?

These are some of the ways I think 3G is going to change our life. What are your views? Are you looking forward to the launch of 3G service? In what ways do you think it is going to be useful to you?

I have submitted this post for Indiblogger contest. If you liked it please vote for it on Indiblogger here. It will take just a minute to register/login and vote.

Image Credit For The First Image

If you liked this article, subscribe to KH so as not to miss out other articles. You can join us on Facebook, follow KH on Twitter, or subscribe to our newsletter below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

24 Responses to “Live Life The 3G Way”

1. Sumanth
    November 2, 2010 at 12:56 pm #

NIce Post ..U hav given a clear explaination about 3G technology..But i think there is successor for this technology that is 4G and which wil be coming into use soon..

2. Faraz Alam
    November 2, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

@Anshul: I worked for Vodafone UK while pursuing my Msc. and let me tell you if they can make 3G actually work in India I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    I owned a Skype phone for VoIP but it did not work seamlessly, neither did video streaming.
    As far as video calling, we had free video calling on most of our calling plans & phones. But, rarely did anyone in my friend group use it, the reason being- once you are on a video call you have to be on speakerphone and that is not always practical/courteous. Also a very few of us looked that good on shaky video ;) [ on a related note, no wonder face time on the iphone4 needs a Wifi connection]

Also, Like all things wireless please account for the concrete jungle we live in, the reception of such high data rates will vary dramatically from one room to the other. And also, watching steaming video while on inter city travel will be a 'pipe dream'. VF UK had a clear attitude towards installing 3g towers. They only installed them when there was a overwhelming number of people complaining and actually lodged it.

I sure hope I have a better experience back home…

Anyhow, nice article. Keep it up!

3. Anshul
    November 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm #

Thanks for your appreciation Sumanth:)

Yeah I too have heard about 4G, but I don't think it has been launched anywhere yet, though I might be wrong. However it'll not be coming to India any time soon, that's for sure.

4. Anshul
    November 2, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

Thanks buddy for sharing your experience here with us. :) I am writing this comment using BSNL's 3G service and I have experienced the variation in speed while moving from one room to another. That's why I am eagerly waiting for other service providers to launch their services since competition might help in improving the service.

It'll be interesting to see how these service providers will cope up with all the problems that you mentioned. Do share your experience of 3G here. Hope we all will have something good to say about it. :)

5. Faraz Alam
    November 3, 2010 at 6:43 am #

I sure hope, there are good things.
    I just re-read what i wrote 5 years ago on the topic of telecommunications.

It's hilarious, do read it when u have time to kill (but please don't laugh at me ;))

and

6. Manjunath
    November 3, 2010 at 10:22 am #

Can we download 700mb movie in 23 seconds? i think its high unplasuable!

7. Gourav Jain
    November 3, 2010 at 11:54 am #

I have voted you up on Indiblogger and I expect the same from you too.

Link : http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=37579

8. Anshul
    November 3, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

Yeah that is hard to believe.. we'll have to wait till the launch of the service to see if that is really possible.

9. Anshul
    November 3, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

Thanks Gourav :)

10. Anshul
    November 3, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

It was fun reading these two article of yours :D. And it also offered the benefit of hindsight, which made it more interesting.

I went for reliance because of cheap call charges on R to R. However I had to switch back to GSM because of poor network of Reliance leading to drop calls. I am happy to pay more as long as I'm getting good service. So GSM for me.

11. khalid216
    November 4, 2010 at 10:27 am #

Hi Anshul
    Voted you just now in Indiblogger. Nice to know that you are from Kanpur.

12. Shrinath Vashishtha
    November 6, 2010 at 11:33 am #

Very informative post indeed! Just promoted at Indivine, too. Good luck to you, dear Anshul, for the contest! Don't forget my treat, once you win the same… Cheers!!! ;-)

13. Anshul
    November 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

Thanks for the vote Khalid :). It was a pleasant surprise for me too to find another blogger from Kanpur

14. Anshul
    November 6, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

Thanks Sir :) Your treat is on me, whether I win or not :)

15. Asset Tracking
    November 9, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Pretty informative post. I've already known that 3G means third generation of wireless technologies, but I haven't fully understand its capabilities. 3G is the trend now and everyone should know what it means. Thanks for sharing such a useful information.

16. Abhishek
    November 16, 2010 at 11:51 pm #

Dear Anshul,

Very Impressive and precise article on 3G..

3G is one of the most searchable term over the internet now a days in India, certainly having a huge population for mobile users, it looks so obvious..honestly i never thought of buying any smart phone till the time i heard of 3G services are being launched in India…….. though it's pretty late for India as it was introduced way back in Year 2001-02 for the first time.. But i m quite optimistic that it won't happen again with 4G, hopefully India will roll out 4G spectrum by 2013, cz Sprint already started deploying 4G in couple of states across US, not only this. a famous smart phone manufacturer (HTC) got huge attention by launching another power packed Smart phone which supports 4G spectrum named (HTC EVO 4G) and amazingly cost is little lesser than the current smart phones available in the market such as; Apple iPhone v4, Sony Ericssion X10 etc.. … I know we'll have to wait for 4G, but let's enjoy 3G first……..

Last but not the least, I appreciate your initiative for educating people through your blog.. ALL the Best!

Abhishek Porwal

17. Archit
    November 26, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Hey Anshul Nice Post
    I got this website while reading article about 3G.

Its a very useful website for a layman like me!!!!
    Someone commented about downloading of 700 mb in 23 secs.Dear frnd it is not possible coz the maximum bandwidth provided by these operators will be 21.1 mbps which means a downloading speed around 3 MB/SEC (BSNL has bandwidth speed of 3.6 mbps only yet it reaches to 4 sometimes in night, I also must add here that here in U.P. east we are getting HSDPA speed in normal 2G SIM!!! THanks to lazy engineers of BSNL :-P). Also speed is network dependant and also varies on other factors like Air-distance and Air-traffic etc.

We all are very excited for lauch of 3G and in next 6 months we will have atleast 3-4 operators providing 3G services in most of the regions. Moreover market will be boosted by cheap 3G/HSDPA mobile HANDSETS !!!

Atlast CONSUMER IS KING !!!!

18. Anshul
    November 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm #

I am glad you found it useful :)

19. Anshul
    November 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm #

Thanks a lot Abhishek for sharing this valuable piece of information with us :). But with current row over 2G going on, I think the government is going to be extra cautious before going forward with 4G allocation, which might delay things. What's your opinion?

20. Anshul
    November 27, 2010 at 11:09 pm #

Thanks for clearing that out Archit.
    You are lucky to get HSDPA spped in 2G sim :D. I hope BSNL engineers are not reading this ;)
    Where in U.P. do you come from? Just curious :)

21. archit
    November 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

I m from THE heart of U.P. – Lucknow:)
    And yes i also hope there is no BSNL's engineer in your blog!! =/

22. Recipe Club
    November 28, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

I love my 3G phone. Can't wait for the 4G!

23. Zaheen
    March 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Yes 3G is really speed.
    But please understand that 3G is again classified into two types HSUPA and HSDPA.
    And HSDPA is more faster than HSUPA,HSDAP is also known as 3.5G+
    Thanks for sharing information.
    I really like 3g phones very much

24. womens wedding bands
    March 10, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

The new iPhone 5 that will release this year will probably have LTE and be so much faster using Apples new A5 processor that is used on the new iPad 2. Can't wait!!