How To File TDR To Get Refund From Indian Rail? - Knowledge Hub

How To File TDR To Get Refund From Indian Rail?

bholu-the guard-Indian railway-mascot With its vast network, Indian Railway is the most preferred means of transportation among Indians. With the introduction of online booking portal (IRCTC), getting a reservation is just a click away. And for that matter, cancelling a reservation too. But what if there are some last minute changes in your plans and you do not have internet facility to cancel the reservation? Does that mean you’ll lose your money for a journey you didn’t undertake?

Well the answer is No. There is a process of getting a partial refund from the railways if you did not travel despite of having a reservation. But many people are not aware of this. It is known as TDR (Ticket Deposit Receipt) and can be filed online very easily.

When Can You File TDR?

In addition to the above mentioned scenario, TDR can be filed by a passenger in any of the following cases:

• Passenger could not travel due to train cancelled by railways.
  • Passenger did not travel due to train running late by more than three hours.
  • Passenger travelled in a lower class than what was reserved because of non-availability of proper coach.
  • AC Failure
  • Travelled without proper ID proof
  • Wrongly charged by TTE
  • Party partially travelled
  • Passenger did not travel

To know the amount of refund in each case and documents required to file TDR, check this official link from IRCTC website.

How To File TDR Online?

Filing TDR online is a very simple process. Just follow the steps given below:

1) Log in to your IRCTC account. On the homepage, click on the File TDR icon.

file TDR step1

2) You’ll now see a list of tickets booked so far. Select the one for which you want to file TDR.

file TDR step2

3) In the next step select the reason for filing TDR from the dropdown, as shown below and submit.

file TDR step3

That’s it. You have successfully filed TDR.

To check status of your TDR, click on TDR History under My Transactions.

check TDR status

Clicking on ‘Check Status’ will show the current status of your application. It takes around 60 days to get the refund processed, as discussed further in this article.

How Will Railway Find Whether I Travelled Or Not?

Or in other words, can someone not file a false claim even after undertaking the journey?

Well it is not that simple. When you file TDR, your claim will be checked against the reservation list present with the TTE. This is why TTE puts a tick against your name in his reservation list while checking your ticket.

Important Points Regarding Online TDR

Before filing TDR you should keep these points in mind:

• TDR should be filed within 30 days of the departure of train.
  • It takes 60 days or more for the claim to be processed.
  • If you are trying to file TDR for a ticket of the same date, you might not be able to see the ticket in the list. Try again the next day.
  • Online TDR can be filed only for e-tickets. For i-ticket or ticket obtained from reservation counter, you’ll have to file TDR request with the station master.

So the next time if you are not able to travel due to last minute changes in plan, do not forget to file TDR to obtain a refund.

And for those wondering who the friendly elephant in the image is, it is Bholu, the Guard- Indian Railway’s mascot !!

Were you aware of this facility? Have you ever tried using it? We at Knowledge Hub will love to know your experience.

In the meantime do check out the details of Mobile Number Portability.

If you liked this article, subscribe to KH so as not to miss out other articles. You can join us on Facebook, follow KH on Twitter, or subscribe to our newsletter below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

82 Responses to “How To File TDR To Get Refund From Indian Rail?”

1. S.R.Ayyangar
    November 30, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Well researched post and this should help people to get the refund without much hassle.

• sudhir rane
      May 3, 2015 at 5:33 pm #

Dear sir,
      I am getting following
      Booked Ticket List To file TDR

PNR Number : Transaction ID :
      From Station : To Station :
      Journey Date :

No Record Found

Booked Tickets

Pl. help

• VIJAY MAHADIK
      August 9, 2015 at 2:57 pm #

sir we are TDR filed but refubd not recd till date.how many days return the refund process?

2. Anshul
    November 30, 2010 at 11:21 am #

• Reetesh Sharma
      August 13, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Very useful information!!!

• Vishal
      April 4, 2015 at 6:54 pm #

Anshul !! man you nailed it !! loved the way man :-* thank you :)

3. ARRA
    December 1, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

Good information. I'm planning a trip to India and need as much information on the trains. Thanks for the advice!

4. Praveen@Techperk
    December 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

Very good tutorial.I like the way this has been crafted. Keep up the great work.

5. ravikirna
    December 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Is this valid even in case of Tatkal?

6. Anshul
    December 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

I wish you a pleasant stay :)
    In case if you want to get some more information about India, feel free to contact me.

7. Anshul
    December 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

Glad you liked it Praveen :)

8. Anshul
    December 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

In case of AC failure, train running late etc, you can claim refund. However if you did not travel, then, according to IRCTC rule you cannot claim any refund. This is what is mentioned in their website

"if tatkal ticket is cancelled up to 24 hrs before the scheduled departure of the train 25% excluding the Tatkal charges will be refunded. Thereafter no refund."

However if I were you, I would still file TDR. With the way govt dept works, who knows you might get a refund !! :)

• Tushar Wankhede
      April 1, 2015 at 10:50 am #

Hii Guys,

Can Someone suggest me for Filing TDR , that I booked a tatkal ticket for one person and now today train will reach to my place though train has already started from its origin. But now I dont want to travel today due to some reason what TDR I should file and when I should before train or after train crossed my place??
      Please reply soon someone if you know and how much I can get refund please let me know.
      Thank you in advance.

9. satish
    January 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

thanks man.could you pls throw some light on TDR filing process if the rail ticket is booked via mobile using ATOM mobile application..

10. mohit
    January 21, 2011 at 5:51 am #

i booked a tatkal ticket and cancel it on the same day but not 24 hrs before(because train was also on same day) so i got nothing refund….. can I file TDR and if I file than how much i will get ??? plz reply soon

11. Anshul
    January 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

It doesn't matter how you have booked the rail ticket as long as it is an e-ticket. Soeven if you booked it using mobile app, you can still file TDR following the steps described above.

12. srinivas
    August 10, 2011 at 5:59 am #

its a useful webite , thank you

13. Deepjit
    November 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

According to IRCTC you can still file TDR if you hav not travelled.

14. sunder singh baxi
    November 14, 2011 at 9:15 am #

have boodked a e ticket vide PNR No.8162560761 dt.12.11.2011. train departure time was 9.24am on 14.11.2011 from Nimbahera to Ajmer . I cancelled above ticket on 13.11.2011 at 5.00 pm but message was display “chart prepared” I also lodge TDR file on the same time vide ref.NO.ekt2011111303662689.

Please let me know when my refund will back and who I find status.

15. Vijay
    December 10, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Thanks

16. sunder singh baxi
    December 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Thanx a lot for valuable information for awareness for all pessenger.

17. m.kutralalingam
    December 10, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

Dear sir,

I am shubhyatra member. Sir, I and my family travelled on 03.12.2011 from Tiruppatur to Tirunelveli train no:16339 on 03.12.2011. But wrongly TDR filed. I am extremely sorry for this filed TDR. But I am booked return ticket on 05.12.2011. But 3 persons not travelled on this date. (05.12.2011) PL accept & refund the amount. TDR FILED reference no:ekt2011125003810101/05.12.2011 train no:16340. Pl accept sir. and reply to my email id about TDR STATUS.

18. varun
    December 27, 2011 at 11:32 am #

sir i had made a ticket through railway & also file the tdr on 18/7/2011 on kolkata station. But i don’t get the refund for that ticket upto now.Is there any procedure to get that money back.

19. pallav
    January 23, 2012 at 6:55 am #

i would like to tell u im a frequent traveller of railway. I always file TDR after my journey and up till now i get almost 50% refund. Just by doing 1 thing when TTE. comes i leave my berth and hide somewhere else. So he didnt ticked on my name in his chart. if u people have any queries regarding this, please fell free to reply.

20. arun
    February 23, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

i file TDR today because i didn’t travel from MadanaPalli to Secunderabad. The ticket price is Rs.297, let us see what the percentage of amount i get back through TDR

• Anshul
      February 29, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Hi Arun,

Do let us know the percentage of amount refunded to you.

21. Dharmendra
    April 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

thaks alot,for this valuable information

22. Amit
    May 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

I have booked 2 tickets from Cuttack to Secunderabad scheduled on 20th may 2012. I tried to cancel one ticket as my partner had some problems but couldn’t. It showed chart prepared and i filed TDR about 16 hrs before the departure time. Again I could not make my journey due to some problem. But I cant file TDR for the 2nd ticket. As i’m trying to do so, its showing “tdr already filed”. Please give me a way. Can I get refund for both tickets ?? What is the procedure to file tdr for 2nd ticket. Is there any other way for refund than online TDR filing. Please help me.

• Anshul
      May 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

Hi Amit,

Unfortunately I am not aware of the process for filing TDR for the 2nd passenger when TDR for first passenger has already been filed. But I’ll ty to dig out this info and let you know asap.

• rajeev
      May 25, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

16 hrs before journey , no TDR is required you can cancel one or more of the passengers and can instant refund

• Anshul
        May 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Rajeev, a ticket can be cancelled normally only if the chart is not prepared. In Amit’s case, the chart was prepared before he cancelled the ticket, so the only option available to him was to file TDR.

23. Amit
    May 23, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

Thanks Anshul for your concern. It will be really helpful if you find out the answer.

24. khushboo
    July 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks a lot.
    Proper way used to make a person understand.

25. pranav
    July 5, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

where should i complain for the non payment of refund against cancellation of eticket 30 days before journey??please help!

• Anshul
      July 9, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

I’ll check and let you know Pranav.

26. Aarthi Reddy
    July 6, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

Hey Anshul,

thnks for info..good work..
    i have filled tdr today :)
    good to see ur hub…

• Anshul
      July 9, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

Glad the “hub” could be of some help to you Aarthi :)

27. Gyanendra
    July 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Dear Ansul,

Thaks alot,for making of Knowledge Hub

• Anshul
      July 9, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

I’m glad you found it useful Gyanendra. Keep visiting :)

28. arnav
    August 17, 2012 at 8:28 am #

very nice tutorial

29. Kaushik Naidu
    August 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Than Q 4 ur valuable information….
    i’ve filed TDR, after 15 min. of chart prepared. but i dont know when can my amount be refunded??
    plzz inform me ANSHUL…

• Anshul
      August 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

It will take a few weeks time Kaushik.

• BIKRAMJIT
        August 31, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Hw much return of the fare do we get back if we cancel the ticket after the chart is prepared…kindly help me out ??

30. Arthi
    August 25, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Hi everyone, my situation is different than what is already been discussed here. I had a WL (Wait List) ticket from Bangalore to Coimbatore. I was waiting till the chart was prepared. But my ticket had moved from WL29 to WL5. Previously irctc allowed us to cancel WL tickets atleast before the train started. But now I found out that I cannot cancel a ticket after chart is prepared. So I took a next day morning passenger train. Now how can I file a TDR for the previous day ticket? Here my reason for applying TDR is ‘passenger not travelled’. How will irctc process this claim? Has anybody been in my situation and filed TDR and received a refund? Please help.

• Anshul
      August 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Hi Arthi,
      Since yours was a waitlist ticket, it would have automatically got cancelled once the chart got prepared. You should get a refund in few days. So, you don’t have to file TDR. Here I am assuming that you booked ticket online. In case you got the ticket from the counter, you should visit the station master.

31. Bashir Sayyed
    August 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

No refund after filling TDR, Yatra says that it shows passenger travelled in the IRCTC records, please help what could be done next.

32. kaladhar k
    September 4, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Thanx a lot for valuable information for awareness for all pessenger.

33. Ashutosh Dubey
    October 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

very informative and easy to understand article.
    keep up the good work.

thnx

34. shan
    October 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

i had a ticket on 19 oct 2012 whose current status at the time of departure was rac 37.

due to sum problems i couldnt travel .
    so can i file a TDR for my ticket after the trains departure or within 30 days.
    n is dere ny provision for ny refund according to irctc…?? pls let me no..!!!

• Anshul
      October 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Yes you can file for TDR upto 30 days. Under the reason for filing TDR, select “Passenger not travelled due to ticket in RAC after chart preparation”

35. chiranjeevacharyulu
    October 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

I have purchase ticket from Rajahmundry to Secunderabad in 2AC on 28.10.2012 in 17015 Visakha Express.. After chart preparation the current status is WL2,3. I have not travelled in that Train.What is procedure to refund my amount for ticket. I have purchased ticket in Passenger Reservation Counter. Pl. Expalin me what is the procedure.

• Anshul
      November 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Since you have purchased the ticket from the counter, you’l have to visit any of the reservation counters and get it cancelled from there.

36. firddaus
    November 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

than you sir

37. himanshu d
    November 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

sir i have cancelled my eticket after completion on chart i filed TDR on my eticket. so iwant to ask you what type amount will be refunded.

38. vibha
    December 26, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

Hi,
    i have applied the TDR 177022 on dated 08112012 and received the acknowledgment from railways
    and they told me i will recived a post on address mention with 30-45 days and that i have to carry to raliway office to get the refund money.,
    please advise what can be done as i have not heard anything from them.

39. nishant madhukar
    January 14, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

thanx sir

40. Ajai Kumar A G
    March 6, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Thank you….. the information is very clear and detailed and hence useful.

41. Ranjan Bhattacharya
    March 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

I have once got a TDR refund. Very useful article and nicely composed. Great thinking !

42. astha
    October 6, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Hi Anshul,

I have filed a TDR for my parents reservation due to some miscommunication ..but later on they have to travel in the same train and in the same berth…I wanted to know would they face any problem while travelling or is there any procedure that the railways come to know that the berth is cancelled while the train is running.

• Anshul
      October 14, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

Hi Astha,
      Apologies for the late reply. Your parents wouldn’t have faced any problem. TDR is not processed immediately. Railway first verifies whether or not the person actually travelled before approving the TDR. So, in your case, TDR won’t get approved.

43. Giriyappa
    March 1, 2014 at 6:19 pm #

Hi,
    I have booked a ticket from Hubli to Bangalore(2nd march 2014),but I am unable to travel so i tried to cancel the ticket but it is not allowing me to cancel the ticket.Can u please assist on this.

I have to cancel the ticket.

I am getting following error message
    .’The ticket cannot be cancelled since the chart is prepared and confirmed on previous remote/originating station.’

But when i tried to file TDR,I am getting error message
    ‘TDR filing is allowed after chart preperation.Chart not yet prepared.Please cancel your ticket.’

44. rajan
    March 20, 2014 at 10:57 pm #

Hi All,

I booked a ticket from nagpur to dongargarh on 17 mar 2014, but when i reached the station train was left, but i am trying to apply tdr in “Passenger Not travelled” it is saying as per amendment rules no refund is allowed.

Could you please do the needful and let me know whether it is feasible to get the refund.

regards,
    Rajan

45. Ankush
    June 3, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

Hello..I filed TDR on 27th May 2014 within 6 hours of actual departure of train. Could you please tell me how long does it take to get the refund back after cancellation charges applicable.

46. anshul
    June 7, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

i have filed TDR for 1 ticket. I cant file TDR for the 2nd ticket. As i’m trying to do so, its showing “tdr already filed”. Please give me a way. Can I get refund for both tickets ?? What is the procedure to file tdr for 2nd ticket. Is there any other way for refund than online TDR filing. Please help me.

47. nitin mukesh
    July 11, 2014 at 9:34 am #

Thank you for you guidance sir, it is very useful information.

regards
    Nitin

48. Arundev
    September 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

Well documented. It helped me to file my first TDR today.. :) So happy..!!!

49. S Sahay
    September 30, 2014 at 11:13 pm #

Hi everyone, my situation is different .
    I had 2 confirmed and one wait list ticket.
    I was waiting till the chart was prepared.
    But our ticket moved to 2 confirmed and one wait list ticket.
    So wait list person was not travelled .Only 2 persons had travelled .
    In train TTE told us that WL person name is not appearing in list which was with him.
    We were not aware of obtaining the certificate from TTE for the ‘Party partially travelled’.
    We thougt WL ticket,will get automatically cancelled and money will deposited in account
    After that We filed TDR .It is showing that TDR Repudiate.

Is there any other way to process this claim in irctc ?
    Or we can obtain certificate for ‘Party partially travelled’ , based on the list ,which was with TTE or with railways?
    Has anybody been in my situation and filed TDR and received a refund?
    Please help.

50. sharad
    November 10, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

i have booked ticket in tatkal and generate the ticket is confirm but im inter wrong ID proof No., so what will do…..? TDR worked at place or not.

51. Girisha
    December 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Hi,
    I have booked a ticket from Hubli to Bangalore(3rd march 2014),but I am unable to travel so i tried to cancel the ticket but it is not allowing me to cancel the ticket.Can u please assist on this.

I have to cancel the ticket.

I am getting following error message

But when i tried to file TDR, how many days need to credit the amount

52. Rajashekhar
    December 29, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

I didn’t travel on schedule and the reservation status was still RAC. I didn’t file the TDR for my online booked tickets. It’s been more than a week now, and now I don’t have an option to file a TDR at all. When I contact the IRCTC, they say, the TDR filing time is exceeded in my case and hence cannot fwd this request to Railways. Hopeless IRCTC and Railways – supported by useless ministry.
    Fares increased with disgusting amenities still.
    Cancellation and refund not allowed – a way of making money in illegal means.

53. CHANDRASHEKAR KANNAN
    February 14, 2015 at 3:21 pm #

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have booked the Wait Listed Train Ticket from Ahemadabad to Gudur on 11th Feb-2015 under Tatkal Quota in Anand ( Gujarat State).

The Train tickets are not confirmed after chart preparation. We went for cancellation the train tickets at Anand railway station by 10 AM. The Railway staff told that now TATKAL TICKET issuing time come after 1 hr.

We went again 11 am, by the time my ticket cancellation time exceeded and the staff told that you file TDR for refund.

Kindly give the address for filing TDR to Whom and how.

Chandrashekar Kannan

54. India
    February 23, 2015 at 9:19 am #

You need to update the screen shots above as the portal has undergone significant changes in recent times.

I need to file and TDR as i booked a ticket in 2AC but for some reason, after chart preparation my name was in 3AC. Obviously i need to get the difference amount back from irctc.

I tried to file an TDR…but I cannot even select the date of 1-Feb-2015 from calendar, as it is disabled. I am not sure, why i I cannot select the date. Any ideas why? I tried using IE as well as Mozilla.

I was told by TTE during the journey that no need to file TDR as i have a e-ticket and it will be processed automatically and i will get the refund.

Is it true?

55. Ramesha
    March 7, 2015 at 8:17 am #

Precise information, easy to follow to complete the transaction successfully. Thanks a lot for creating and maintaining site
    -Ramesha

56. raam
    April 3, 2015 at 3:05 pm #

I just want to share the information which I came across now with respect to cancellation of confirmed after chart preparation.

Actually the time for filing TDR matters here. The TDR filing time for confirmed tickets is just 2 hrs from the time of departure (it is not within 30 days). I am not sure whether this is revised timelines, but this is the current rules mentioned in irctc website.

Initially, I was not aware of this. I filed my TDR after 5 days as I didnt get time for internet access to cancel the ticket. Now, the TDR status says “CR Repudiate” and when I went in website did further check on rules, it is clearly mentioned “No refund of fare shall be admissible on e-ticket having confirmed reservation in case the request for refund is filed online after two hours of the actual departure of the train.”

This is the reference link “https://www.irctc.co.in/eticketing/staticPage/eticketCancel.html”

57. UMRAO B RAWAT
    June 13, 2015 at 2:42 pm #

Hi Anshul,

Pls help me out to get my refund from Railway,
    My Train was cancelled due to Gujjar Agitataion and traiun has to depart from Nizamuddin @ 11.50 night were as railway has not send any cancellation sms nor email confimation. due to which me and my whole family need to struggle.
    Now i forgot to cancelled eticket and File TDR. now railway saying after train cancellation 72 hrs time given.
    question is person has not availed servies and Railway has cancelled train and prior no infoirmation. how could i get my refund back from railway as eticket train cencelled then railway should automatically credited to my accounts now they are saying you need to cancelled tickets by why we should cancelled when problem was from railway end.

nor i have done any sin if person forgot to cencelled eticket or file TDR then how their system works its clear railway has not returned refund nor they are co-operation to get refund and neither they accept their mistake not informing customer cancellation of train.

pls advise how i can fight with them to get refund.

58. Kunal
    June 19, 2015 at 10:49 pm #

I was supposed to travel to aurangabad from nasik. But the train got cancelled due to heavy rain in mumbai on 19.06.15..
    I had booked the e-ticket using mobile app. Now I could not see the booked ticket entry on the website to enable me to file TDR.
    So, how should I file TDR now?
    Pl. Explain.

59. vishal
    June 24, 2015 at 7:49 am #

really ..this information help me lot…

60. Ajay Babu
    July 7, 2015 at 9:39 pm #

I have booked in train No.22403 AC 3 tier 2 e-tickets vide PNR No.4309450980 on 29.06.2015 from Pondicherry to Vijayawada on 01.07.2015, but on 29.06.2015 I have received the message as train cancelled. In this connection how I will get refund!

61. Mohit
    July 16, 2015 at 2:42 pm #

TDR filing not possible on mobile app- IRCTC Connect. The ticket booked from mobile app cannot be found on irctc website.

62. Sapna
    July 17, 2015 at 12:15 pm #

Hey anshul I want to ask you one question that I booked a train for 9 peoples on 7th July and my train got cancelled so if I filed tdr now will I get the refund or not..please reply me soon.

63. VIJAY MAHADIK
    August 9, 2015 at 2:51 pm #

E-ticket TDR filed but refund not received.how many days will be returning.

64. ashok Awasthi
    August 18, 2015 at 9:52 am #

Dear sir I have book my tatkal ticket from Jhansi’ to Aurangabad sachkhand express on 11 August 2015; and the train was late around to 22 hrs late. And till time it is not reach at aurangabad.and i reach aurangabad by another train.So that I have cancel my ticket but refund is not done.my pnr no-2852457340 train no-12716Asr Ned express ,S1;40 with prepare chart.tell me what should I do.
    Thanks.