[Hoax] UNESCO Announces India’s National Anthem As Best In The World

indian-flag It pains my heart to see how easily people believe anything they read on internet when it comes to our nation. When some people tried to insult our national anthem saying that it was written in praise of King George V (not true), we believed them. And now when someone says that India’s national anthem has been chosen as the best national anthem by UNESCO, we happily believe that too!!

Yes, that is what I mean to say- UNESCO has NOT declared India’s National Anthem as the best in the world.

Before I provide you with proofs to substantiate my claim, let me first show you the message I’m talking about:

So here we go:

Proof #1

If UNESCO had declared India’s National Anthem (or for that matter any other country’s national anthem) as the best in the world, don’t you think it would have received wide media coverage in India and around the world? Do you remember reading any such thing in the newspapers?

Proof #2

If UNESCO made any such announcement, shouldn’t there be a notification on their website? Unfortunately there is no such thing reported on UNESCO’s official website. Even if you try searching the archive on their website, you won’t find any information related to this. Neither India’s nor any other country’s national anthem has been announced as the best national anthem on UNESCO’s website- not now, and never in the past.

Proof #3

Now comes the best part! Do you know way back in 2008, there was an e-mail doing the rounds, which had the same message!! India Today (a popular Indian news magazine) sent out an e-mail to UNESCO at that time to verify this claim. This is the answer they got from UNESCO:

We are aware of several blogs in India reporting this story, but can assure you that UNESCO has made no such announcement concerning the anthem of India or any country

You can read the complete article that was published in India Today here.

*****

A lie that started in 2008 is still spreading at a rapid pace. It might have started as a harmless joke. But people behind it don’t realize that in doing so they are actually playing with sentiments of millions of Indians.

But should we blame others for spreading such rumors? Aren’t we equally responsible for that? Do we ever think about the authenticity of a message before forwarding it to our friends or posting it on Facebook?

We at Knowledge Hub try our best to create awareness among people through our section on Myth Buster. We were able to get a false information regarding LPG cylinders removed from the Wikipedia. But in order to be successful in our endeavor, we need your support. Whenever you receive any such message, verify its authenticity before forwarding it. If you are not able to do that, contact us – we’ll verify it for you.

Remember Mark Twain’s famous quote:

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Did you receive such a message through e-mail or on Facebook? We’ll like to hear your experience. Please share your thoughts through the comment form below.

Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates in future. We’ll love to connect with you on facebook and twitter too.

9 Responses to “[Hoax] UNESCO Announces India’s National Anthem As Best In The World”

1. Anonymous
    September 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

i too receivd such a messag n my mobile..thank God dat i checkd d web to knw d realty b4 spreading such a fake infmation..thanx 2 u 2.

2. A S Lall
    February 7, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Thanks. I saw this message on FB today and as you correctly said if this were true, why was something not mentioned in the national news and all other media forums that we have. So, I decided to check the authenticity and found that it is not true. Regardless of whether UNESCO states this or any other international forum declares something like this, our national anthem is the best in the world for us Indians and that is the only truth that matters. We don’t need an Oscar to recognize the greatness of our national emblems. Jai Hind

• Anshul
      February 29, 2012 at 10:35 am #

That’s the spirit we all should have :-)

3. rahma afsal
    February 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

i too got such a news through the facebook, thank u for the correct information

4. Amit
    March 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

The moment i read this news via a post on facebook, i just googled it for the authenticity coz i have myself never read it in any newspaper or anywhr else. Stumpled into ur very nicely put down article on how we so easily succumb to these rumours.

Thanks

5. Rahul
    April 6, 2012 at 3:00 am #

Yes this is fake, its obvious only dolts can believe on this but your point of whether it was written in the praise of King George or not is not well justified in the given links. There are very strong evidences in favor that it was the part of King’s welcome ceremony while the justifications in oppose are quite bland. I have even spoken to people of that era and they also said to defend Tagore and to defend himself they found such justifications that Bharat Bhagya Vidhata is referred to God not to King, while actual scenario was different.

6. Raju Rawat
    April 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

hehehe
    I dont know why people take those “false rumors” as true…….!!

7. Asif
    April 8, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

I appreciate your spirit Anshul for your work. I saw this shared from one of my friends which I searched and found your link. So I posted it in the comments section. I know there are thousands are there who will share this without questioning the authenticity of any information. But I believe ur initiative is playing a good role here to make things better and I am sure. Keep up the good work. It would be better if you provide references of websites or any reliable links when you quote things. But anyways triple thumbs up for ur spirit.

Cheers,
    Asif

• Anshul
      April 9, 2012 at 1:10 am #

Thanks for your motivating words Asif :) I gave a link to an India Today article on this issue. You can read that for further information.