[FRAUD] Tata Motor Interview Letter - Knowledge Hub

[FRAUD] Tata Motor Interview Letter

Job-Scam
After reading about the income tax refund scam, one of our readers, Mr Umesh, informed us about another scam he recently witnessed- lucrative job offers in prestigious companies. Unemployment being a big problem in India, it is very easy for these fraudsters to lure innocent young people in their trap. But if we remain vigilant, it is very easy to identify such online frauds.

So let’s see what this scam is all about and what the red flags are which you should immediately notice in such cases.

Background

Mr Umesh’s brother received a mail saying that his resume has been selected by Tata Motors. See the screenshot of the mail below (click to enlarge):

fake mail The content of the pdf attached with the mail can be seen below (click to enlarge):

attached pdfMr Umesh’s brother forwarded this mail to him. Going through the content of the mail, he got a bit suspicious and decided to dig more into it. When the initial enquiries grew his suspicion, he decided to contact Tata Motors directly, and this is the mail he sent them (highlighted in pink are the red flags that raised doubts in his mind- click on the image to enlarge):

letter to tata He received a reply from Tata Motors within half an hour, informing him that the mail was not genuine. I am not producing that mail here because of legal issues. But the gist of the mail was that there have been several such incidents reported recently, and Tata Motors have informed concerned officials regarding this.

Now that we are aware of this scam, let us see how to recognize such scams.

Red Flags

1. If you are looking for a job and you receive such a mail, you’ll obviously feel happy about it. But once you get over the initial sense of jubilation, sit back and think- have you applied to that company anytime in the past? If no, ignore the mail, or better still, inform the concerned organization like Mr. Umesh did.
  2. The most obvious giveaway should be the grammar. As you can see from the screenshots above, there are lot many grammatical mistakes which you’ll not find in any official communications from reputed companies.
  3. But what if you had applied to the company and the mail looks grammatically correct? See the sender’s detail in the mail:
    e-mail idThe domain from which the mail is sent in this case is directappointhrd.com, which in no way looks related to Tata Motors.
    Note: To understand what a domain is and how it is different from an URL, check this article.
  4. If a company asks you to deposit cash as a security to start the interview process, you should immediately become suspicious. And also what’s the point of working for a company which doesn’t even have funds to arrange interviews !!
  5. If you are still not convinced, do a whois lookup on the domain used in the e-mail. Whois lookup of a domain tells you when a domain was registered and for how long. (If you are a regular reader, you might remember we did a Whois lookup to get some information on Imcrew scam).

For doing a whois lookup on any domain, go to www.whois.net and enter the domain name there. You’ll get the details of the domain registrar, domain registrant, date when the domain was registered and date of expiration of the domain. The information about domain registrant will generally be wrong for scam sites, so don’t worry much about that. Check when the domain was registered and when it is getting expired. Generally if it is a fraud, you’ll find that the domain has been registered a few months back and only for a year (that is the minimum period for domain registration).

See the whois information for this particular case below:

whois info

I hope this article will help you identify such frauds. If your friends or relatives get any such mails, caution them against it. Also, I think police department should gear itself up to tackle cyber crimes. Mr. Umesh informed me that he went to local police station to lodge an FIR, but the police officials there did not give any importance to it.

Mr Umesh should be applauded for thinking logically and taking efforts to bring this to everyone’s notice. If you have also come across any such online fraud, let us know through your comments below or by contacting us.

23 Responses to “[FRAUD] Tata Motor Interview Letter”

1. Vee
    February 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

i came across a similar instance. the spammers were posing as people from SBI. there has been a significant rise in this kind of emails these days.. I wrote a post based on all my internet fraud experiences here -http://psychesvisage.blogspot.com/2011/01/interne

also, thank you very much for emailing about this and increasing the awareness among the public.

2. Sonika
    February 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Ya, there are lot such scammers…get lot of mails regarding such on the name of big companies….

3. sam
    February 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

very use ful details

4. zephyr
    February 7, 2011 at 4:02 am #

Unable to vote through the widget. And I don’t have a FB account. But this blog is great even for a middle aged woman like me. No harm in being warned. Never know when the info will come useful :)

5. Maa
    February 7, 2011 at 9:11 am #

Very very useful details. We must be aware of such job cheaters atleast after going through the cases like this. Thanks to knowledge hub and Mr.Umesh

6. Laxman
    February 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

Good work Umesh, Anshul u r doing a nice job yaar informing us about such scams i like all of ur articles
    keep it up yaar

7. Manisha
    February 10, 2011 at 6:18 am #

Great work umesh.. I too have received around 10 -15 mails from tata motors, mahindra, hdfc and many more. Firstly i was bit believing that but when i read the money clause i also got suspicious & deleted that.
    Congrats for your blogs achievement.. I'll definitely going to vote for you. :) Keep it up!!!

8. womens wedding bands
    February 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

Why do people spam others in serious stuff like in jobs or in receiving money. 99% of all people should know of the bat that all of this is spam and a scam but it's that 1% that fall for it is what makes these scams more available.

9. cindy megan
    February 18, 2011 at 3:16 am #

Thanks for your blog that give me idea how to identify scams and spams.

10. Paint additive
    March 22, 2011 at 1:51 am #

It is just unbelievable how many people are out there who would take advantage of the lack of jobs and try to scam people. Lets hope with blogs like yours that show people the red flags to look for fewer people will be affected by these scams.

11. bean bags
    March 29, 2011 at 10:31 am #

what type of useful detail that is plz tell me.

12. Anve
    April 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

hey folks ! am here to share my horrible experience of fraud interview letter.i received this same letter 2 times in a row. at first i was really excited about it, but matter of deposition of certain amount was ear raising ,so i decided to directly come in contact with company officials but was unsuccessful.there should be legal action against these sort of people who is playing with human emotions.

13. laxmi
    June 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

Hi I am from Chennai and I too rxd this kind of Mail.The account in which they told me to tranfer was :
    We are in receipt of your email, You are advised to note carefully the requirement for the interview and location as well, we will be sending you the flight ticket and employment letter but first we would require you to pay the refundable interview security deposit to this below account.

BANK NAME: Punjab national bank.
    A/C NAME: DEEPAK SINGH NAGI.
    A/C NO: 4039000100109678.

If any one desperate searching for a job rxs this mail please be cautious.May God Punish such kind of people.

14. pitu
    July 1, 2011 at 6:31 am #

hay i am a management student from calcutta passed this year, just one day ago i received the mail,i rip that to conseder me for interview after that i am ready for payement, because i am a fresher now how i arrenge it, and incase of any interview there is no before payement shedule which is refundable, and sereously concentrate on the ac holder name, i dont know that it is realy or fake but i have a dought about the single person namely ac, if it is realy then the ac in group name or organise, i am still wating for there riply, after that i will an another comment.
    ;)

15. sandeep
    November 11, 2011 at 3:35 am #

Today i also received such mail claiming from Maruti Udyog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Tushar
    November 11, 2011 at 11:02 am #

I also fot such a mail. Demanding me for 7500/- INR to deposit before interview Mr. Lokesh Garg is contact person who is claiming to be Hr at TATA MOTORS..

• Anshul
      December 2, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

I hope you did not deposit the amount Tushar!

17. Ron
    December 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

mee tooo….lokesh garg had called me today and asked to pay 7550 in next half an hour in the name of mr. so called Pankaj who holds an account in Axis bank and is Senior Chattered Accountant in Delhi branch.

I told him that sumhow m not convinced by the offer and that y does a company like tata motors require deposits…he tried to convince me a lot…

…after a few minutes of research online….thanks to you guys i saved my money :)….

• Anshul
      December 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I am glad Ron that this article helped you in saving your hard earned cash. :-)

18. Hemangi
    January 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

after depositing the amount what should we do the next

19. Mayank R Thakker
    July 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

i too receivd the same mail two days back from tata motors..thnx for posting this scam..

20. Tarun
    April 11, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

A very informative and nice website…..keep it up bro…..keep updating…

21. Raji
    July 11, 2014 at 1:32 am #

10/07/2014 -Hey guys,i got an sms from TATA Motors saying that my CV is shortlisted for interview and to click link http://www.requirementtm.blogspot.in/ for details.. When I called the concerned person MR.Unmesh Rai. 09540148749 he asked me to deposit Rs 9700/ at nationalized bank (PNB or BOI) whichever is nearer to my place..i got suspicious when he gave an a/c number of a person named pradeep kumar ..& decided not to deposit..When I called him again and asked if it was fraud he tried convincing me that it is genuine and they got my CV from naukri.com but I asked him to write to me from company email id..and he hung up…Thank god I saved my hard earned money..

I doubt how safe it is to even upload your cv on these JOb portals???? save us..
    I feel that such things should be