By now you would have filed your Income Tax return. If you haven’t and need help with filing your Income Tax return, check this tutorial.
After you file your IT return, either online or through a CA, you get an ITR-V form. Until a few years ago it was required to mail this ITR-V form to Income Tax Department either through Speed Post or Normal Post. However, IT department has now made it simpler- you can now e-verify Income Tax Return instead of sending the ITR-V form through post.
How to e-Verify Income Tax Return (ITR-V) form
- Login to Income Tax website.In case you haven’t registered on Income Tax website, now is the time to do so. You’ll find records of your previous years’ IT returns (starting from AY 2007-08) on the website.Note: The username is your PAN card number.Do you know the meaning of numbers on a PAN card?
- Now hover over “e File” and click on “e-Verify Return”. Refer the screenshot below.
- There are three ways to e-verify income tax return:
- Option 1: “I already have an EVC to e-Verify my return.”
- Option 2: “I do not have an EVC and I would like to generate EVC to e-Verify my return.”
- Option 3: “I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-Verify my return.”
In case you do not want to e-verify, or if you are not able to e-verify due to some reason, there is also a 4th option of sending the ITR-V form by post to Income Tax department:
- Option 4: “I would like to send ITR-V/ I would like to e-Verify later.”
Select whichever option is convenient for you and e-verify.
Voila! That’s it! No need to visit the post office to mail your ITR-V form now. 🙂